[MLB-WIRELESS] WL-HDD going cheap

Dan Flett conhoolio at hotmail.com
Wed May 31 12:00:52 EST 2006

Hi Guys,

I discovered the WL-HDD has had a drop in price recently.  There are $69
here:

http://www.computeralliance.com.au/parts.aspx?qryPart=4698

They have a standard Broadcom radio, integrated, which isn't great.  But at
$69 you can't complain.  They are confirmed to run OpenWRT, they have 4MB
Flash and 16MB RAM, and they are physically slightly smaller than a VHS
tape.  If you've got a spare 2.5 inch HDD lying around then all of a sudden
you've got heaps of storage space.  And it has USB too.

Now to find a suitably-sized outdoor enclosure! :)

Does the drop in price mean that EoL is coming?

Also, this place sells cheap 9dB indoor antennas:

http://stores.ebay.com.au/confero24-com-Wireless-Shop

I've had one of these on Ratbaggy's return-loss analyser and it came up with
very good figures - so in this case cheap doen't mean nasty.

So add one of these antennas to the WL-HDD, stick them both inside a
waterproof enclosure and you might be able to make yourself a reasonable
outdoor AP/Router for less than $150.

Cheers,

Dan