[MLB-WIRELESS] 1.2 MBytes/S on 10k link (was New Node to be)

Ratbaggy wireless at smithsgully.net
Thu May 18 20:33:38 EST 2006

Hi Paul,

No mistake there!  Speed is chiefly thanks to the distance control utility
which adjusts the Ack timing.  Dan Flett found the utility a few of months
ago and for us it has been the HOLY GRAIL as far as getting serious speed
out of our links!!!!!!!!!

Just rechecked the settings and the radio is running at an 802.11g rate of
24 Mbits/S.  Once the timing is sorted out the RF performance of the link to
achieve the higher rates becomes a lot more important as energy per bit is
lower.  Over 8.6 Km with 24 dB grids at each end and good line of sight you
should have no trouble equalling or bettering the 1.2 MByte/S mark.

The latest (1.2.5) version of Freifunk  (and OpenWRT RC5) have the distance
control utility built in.

We have 2 links running at decent speed now.

1) Templestowe Lower to Kangaroo Ground - 10 KM

24 dB Gridpack each end
Throughput 1.2 MBytes/S
Radios: Sparklan WX6800 (= Linksys WAP54G = WRT54G minus Switch)
Settings:-
Firmware: OpenWRT-Freifunk Ver. 1.1.4 (You should be able to achieve similar
results with OpenWRT)
dctrl 16000
24 MBPS radio rate
Wireless Mode: Ad Hoc
CTS protection disable
Frame Burst enable
Radio Mode = G Mode Performance (Whatever that means!)
Frag Thresh 2346
RTS Thresh 2346

2) Kangaroo Ground to Blackburn North - 15 KM

19 dB panel to 24 dB Gridpack
Throughput 1.1 MBytes/S
Radios: WRT54G
Settings:-
As above except
dctrl 22000
18 MBPS radio rate

IMPORTANTLY the units are set up to route IP NOT bridge Ethernet.  i.e. The
bridge is disabled between wireless and Ethernet and the interfaces have
separate IP addresses in different subnets.  Using bridging we got only 35
KBytes/S with the other parameters identical.  There is a big problem with
the bridging.  Peter Buncle had similar results.

We also have a number of the standard Freifunk init scripts disabled,
firewall crond dnsmasq olsrd rdate olsr-prio.

With the two hops above strung together we get 900 KBytes/S.

A third hop which is only 3 KM uses Standard Edimax radios in bridge mode
with a Vagi and a dodgy Galaxy antenna and runs at 600 KBytes/S.  All 3 Hops
strung together run at 500 KBytes/S limited by the worst hop and the fact
that the antennas are less than half a metre apart.

Please let us know how you get on!!!!!!

Regards,

David Nuttall.