[MLB-WIRELESS] New Node to be

Ratbaggy wireless at smithsgully.net
Thu May 18 18:04:23 EST 2006

Hi David,

The Sparklan radios that we have in the hop between Templestowe Lower and
Kangaroo Ground draw 200 mA at 12.5V (2.5 Watts).  A WRT54G draws 250 mA at
12.5V (3.1 Watts).  The R100 draws 800 mA at 5V (4 Watts) but also seems to
run OK at 4 volts for the same current consumption and a 20% reduction in
power to 3.2 Watts.

The power consumption does go up a bit when you load them up with traffic.

The Sparklans are basically a WRT54G minus the 5 port switch with half the
flash memory but happily run the Freifunk flavour of OpenWRT.  We have these
sorted out pretty well now and they run 1.2 Megabytes/Second real throughput
on our 10 km link.

I feel fairly confident that we can take our pick of the above units.  We
may get away with another radio and that would be a bonus.

For example, with a Sparklan and a WRT54G we are at 0.45 Amp for a total of
10.8 A/H per day, definitely worth a try.   ...and with a fully charged
battery, 18 days of backup from the 200 A/H batteries!

With a Maximum Power Point switchmode regulator (expensive) you can get
almost all of the available energy from a solar panel because it matches the
impedance of the panel to that of the battery in effect converting the 18 V
at 4.4 A to 13 V at 6 A although on a small installation for the cost of one
of these babies it is probably cheaper to buy a second panel.

Dave.