[MLB-WIRELESS] Quad Shield RG6 cable for wireless?

Steven Haigh netwiz at crc.id.au
Fri May 5 09:48:15 EST 2006

On Fri, May 5, 2006 9:38 am, emdeex wrote:
> Hi all,

Hi!

> I've got my access point, and an external antenna, but not enough
> cable to reach my roof top mast ... ive got enough quad-shield RG6
> left over from my digital-tv system ... will that work well?  If not,
> why not and where should I get ten metres of suitable cable?

RG6 is 75 ohm coax. This is great for TVs, CCTV cameras, and other things
using 75 ohm coax, however wifi and radio things in general (think 2 way
radios, etc) all use 50 ohm coax.

This being the case, RG6 is not really useful for wifi coax. Something
like LMR400 (although thick) will do a far, far better job.

--
Steven Haigh

Email: netwiz at crc.id.au
Web: http://www.crc.id.au