[MLB-WIRELESS] 1.2 MBytes/S on 10k link (was New Node to be)

Ratbaggy wireless at smithsgully.net
Thu Jun 8 22:28:44 EST 2006

Hi All,

We've been doing some more tinkering on the 3 hop system described below.

Discovered the Edimax link wasn't running at its full potential due to
problems with POE.  There is a very long run of CAT5 and the voltage drop
was excessive.  This caused the switchmode power supply in the Edimax to
draw more current which causes more voltage drop which causes more current
pull and round we go again.....  In the end the AP was only just working and
even dropping out occasionally when the mains voltage dropped below 215V at
Marks.

There was only 8 volts at the output of the plugpack and less than 5 at the
AP.  Swapped the plugpack for a better regulated device and we have close to
12V at the AP now.

So now with the power fixed, the 3 Km Edimax link runs at......  1015 KBytes
per second.

And I think we might be able to squeeze a bit more out of it with a better
antenna.  We get best throughput with the radios running at 18 Mbps so it
seems we may be running out of signal.

With the problems of proximity at Blackburn I shifted the channels to 1 and
11 rather than 6 and 11 for maximum separation.

And now for the results over the 3 hops.......

Using wget to do a HTTP transfer of an 85 MByte file.

800 KBytes / second. (peaking to 850) over 10 + 15 + 3 Km.

Dave.