[MLB-WIRELESS] Somewhat off-topic - help getting WinXP wireless WPA 2 and networking working.

gabrielle harrison and Paul van den Bergen gabpaul at melbpc.org.au
Sat Jul 29 18:13:30 EST 2006

Hi all,

not strictly melb wireless related, but hoping folks here could help -
please feel free to contact me directly off-list (gabpaul at melbpc.org.au)

I'm trying to set up my sister with ADSL/wireless/voip at home.

here is the setup

(internet)---phone line---Billion 7404 ADSL/wireless/voip router

so far I've
1) connected the ap to the PC via ethernet, configured the ADSL, but could
not get WEP, WPA or WPA2 to work.
2) moved the AP to the phone line, connected it, wirelessly loged into the
AP (open wifi) and configured the AP

ADSL is properly connected and can be seen from the ISP's side (I rang and
asked) - gets the DNS and IP address just fine.

I can reach the AP html interface over the wifi link.
I cannot ping the AP.
I cannot connect to the internet.

anything obvious spring to mind? I'm out of ideas.

I'm not convinced that the AP is the problem - suspect windows.  I'm
reading the AP manual atm but it's the windows side that concerns me since
I'm a linux/BSD guy these days.  Anyone know a good site or set of tools
for dealing with windows networking? WPA supplicant? etc.?

--
Dr Paul van den Bergen
Chance favours the prepared mind