[MLB-WIRELESS] Wireless newsgroups up and running.

Steven Haigh netwiz at crc.id.au
Wed Jan 25 12:34:49 EST 2006

> I'm sure sendmail has an option of running virtual domains. You *will*
> end up needing *different* usernames for each of the usernames on the
> domains though.
>
> Ergo: committee at wireless.org.au would need to be mapped to a different
> unix account than committee at melbourne.wireless.org.au.
>
> I think I used to run a setup like that on sendmail a couple of years
> ago (I get old, I forget) I'll check if I still have the cfg sitting
> around.
>
> Yep, I do.
>
> I had:
>
> /etc/mail/local-host-names
>      Contains a list of all domains I want mail for.
>      sendmail.cf: Fw/etc/mail/local-host-names
>
> /etc/mail/virtusertable
>      Contains address at domain -> account mappings (incoming, hashtable)
>      sendmail.cf: Kvirtuser hash -o /etc/mail/virtusertable
>
> /etc/mail/genericstable
>      Contains account -> address at domain mapping (outgoing, hashtable)
>      sendmail.cf: Kgenerics hash -o /etc/mail/genericstable
>

> For mailing lists, I had set up normal aliases, which were set to accept
> mail on virtual accounts specified in virtusertable.
>
> - P.

See, this is where I got to... however the addresses required are not
physical accounts - they only exist in the aliases file.

I was wondering if you can specify a full email address in the aliases
file (therefore making committee at wireless.org.au a different alias to
committee at melbourne.wireless.org.au etc), however I haven't been able to
find any documents that say yes or no, and any impacts of doing such a
thing.