[MLB-WIRELESS] Proposal: MWRP at Scouts Jamboree

vak vak at alphalink.com.au
Sun Feb 12 18:04:59 EST 2006

Hi Guys,

I've given some thought to this problem and my suggestions are as follows:

1) Get a bidirectional sat feed from one of the telcos (Telstra, IPstar,
Satteline, etc).

The reason for this suggestion is that if reliability has been an issue
in the past, 5 wifi hops back to melbourne could prove a bigger headache
than anything. If the service providers are pushed to donate their
services, they might even put in a dedicated microwave and/or LMDS link
back to the mountain and provide a data feed for the duration of the
Jamborree. Another possibility (if there is copper in the ground close
to the site) would be multiple ISDN basic rate services bonded. Basic
rate should be available at most country exchanges now (can anyone
confirm this ?). Basic rate should be able to achieve the distance
required. Primary rate would be better, but distance would almost
certainly be a problem. GPRS would simply be too slow. It would be
unlikely that WCDMA is installed out there.

2) Once a permanent external link was setup, Melbourne Wireless could
put in a distributed wifi network (including the backbone) to provide
both telephony & data services. I'd be surprised if there was no
GSM/CDMA coverage up there already (but it would be worth someone
checking this out prior to the event). In any case, we could deploy a
VOIP solution to link each of the offices/major gathering spots together
and potentially if there was a method to get onto the PSTN network
(either via PSTN/BRI/SIP gateway on the net), we could also offer
limited calls out to the rest of the world (depends who is footing the
bill). Think of this as a psuedo payphone replacement.... If someone was
able to convince one of the manufacturers of video phones to put
something in, it might be a bit of fun for the people on the ground to
talk to each other.

To roll out a wifi network, the scouts could look at approaching Hills
to donate some of these::
http://www.smartbridges.com/products/aP2NP.asp  for the duration of the
event.

They are dual radio AP's 2.4 & 5.8Ghz. We'd use the 5.8Ghz radios for
the backbone and 2.4Ghz for local distribution.

Are there going to be internet kiosks/internet van/tents setup ?
Administration tent ? etc ?

The remote AP's could either be powered by small gensets or if
connectivity is not critical, solar panel/wet cell/inverters.

How long is the event for ?

Cheers,
Vaskos