[MLB-WIRELESS] Proposal: MWRP at Scouts Jamboree

Mathew McKernan mathewmckernan at optushome.com.au
Thu Feb 9 22:40:44 EST 2006

Hey All,

Ratbaggy is right on the money with the Telstra Countrywide stuff. Telstra
have been heavily involved with the Jamboree's previously, even working with
competitors (i.e. Optus at the Sydney Jamboree) to get the site online.

Remember most of the time the kids are there to be outside and not really
concentrating on the internet or technology as such. There is technology
bases for GPS use etc, but the key is more "scoutcraft" directed events.
Also socializing and learning to get along better with their peers.

Without knocking the proposal, at this stage it is getting a bit late to
organize all of this as most of the corporate deals for connectivity would
have already been decided on. Site connectivity has been handled by Cisco
previously and the use of Aironet at Sydney. LRE was used at Adelaide over
the copious amounts of phone cabling throughout the place. I think the
Elmore site does have quite a bit of infrastructure there also.

I am a Rover now, and I have been in scouting since a tacker. I have also
been to the last 2 Jamboree's as a leader and have contacts in the existing
event. So I can provide advice on how the site runs. I was on the IT&T team
at Adelaide working on the phone system and network itself.

Thanks

Matty

  _____