[MLB-WIRELESS] Proposal: MWRP at Scouts Jamboree

Ratbaggy wireless at smithsgully.net
Wed Feb 8 23:58:38 EST 2006

The nearest high ground is Mt. Burrumboot where Telstra have their base station which is indeed used to cover the Elmore field days site.  There are also a few other towers on the hill for local two way radio services etc.  Mt Burrumboot has excellent views over some pretty flat country.  It is fully cleared with a good track to the top but alas it is on private property, the track starts next to the farmers house.

So to use the site, one would either have to swing a deal with one of the existing tennants or get permission from the farmer to set up in the paddock where we would need to arrange our own power.  (Multiply this by at least 5 sites if we want to bring it up all the way from Melbourne)

Given the distances involved I think the only real option would be to pull intermet from DSL somewhere in Elmore.  Relay it (if required) to the Jamboree site and then do some hotspots etc.

Then again, things have changed a lot in the last 5 years and you may find the big T (or other carriers) are involved.  I would be very surpised if there were no phones on site and given that, how hard would it be to get DSL directly to site.

Telstra Countrywide are big into making a name for themselves these days and thrive on getting involved with events like this.  They even set up a temporary base station (free to the organisers) at the Meredith music festival.  So if we are serious we'll probably need to make an offer to the scouts early before someone else jumps in!  Or at least check if they already have a sponsor or are interested at all.

Rtabaggy.