[MLB-WIRELESS] {Spam?} Cheap (I think) hackable wireless APs

Dan Flett conhoolio at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 5 22:00:35 EST 2006

I have two WL500g units and they run OpenWRT just fine - with USB support.
You can install Samba on OpenWRT and share the contents of a USB memory key
or hard drive across your network.  You can also plug in webcams, printers,
USB-Serial converters, modems of different flavours - all kinds of stuff if
you're willing to do a small amount of homework.

I believe Peter Buncle will confirm that the R100's are an exact carbon copy
of the WL500g.  More details can be found in our Wiki here:
http://www.melbournewireless.org.au/wiki/?WL500G

They have a mini-PCI Broadcom wireless NIC in them which can be swapped for
an Atheros or Senao wireless card.  Again, Peter Buncle has had some success
doing this with the R100.

I just ordered two of these units from Dealsdirect.

Hope you don't mind me dobbing you in, Pete. :)

Cheers,

Dan

View my blog:
http://freenetjazz.blogspot.com