[MLB-WIRELESS] XP problems connecting to AP-3 hotspot

Michael Borthwick holden at netspace.net.au
Sun Feb 5 12:46:33 EST 2006

Naturally at the bar (Horse Bazaar 397 Little Lonsdale St) we have
free wireless access and this is proving very popular with customers.
Our original AP-3 chassis failed however having replaced the chassis
it appears rock solid with PowerBooks, PDA's and many Windows
notebooks able to connect and surf it up.

However one or twice a week someone with an XP laptop will come in
and be unable to see our network (or any of the several others
networks in the area) even though everything appears to be set up OK
on their machine and working.

There doesn't seem to be much configurability of wireless under XP -
any thoughts of what might be going ?

Possible red herring: Are they corporate machines running an SOE that
prevents them connecting to arbitrary AP's ?