[MLB-WIRELESS] Swapping the broadcom radio for an atheros card inan R100

samiam at air-stream.org samiam at air-stream.org
Thu Dec 21 22:26:27 EST 2006

I just went down this route recently

I used a cm9 card and it worked with kmod-madwifi in rc6 under kernel 2.4.30

BUT

that isnt the next gen or madwifi-ng driver

I also downloaded the source code for kamikaze, the development version of
mad wifi from https://dev.openwrt.org

and I compiled my own firmware, which was a breeze thanks to the
menuconfig and downloading the toolchain on the fly but takes abotu 1.5Gb
of disk, and I was able to compile a next gen kernel module for 2.6.17
kernel in fact the madwifi was compiled into the kernel.

I imagine the Sr2 or sr5 would work equally well, as they are the same
vintage as the cm9 card, for me it was abotu sensitivity rather than
output.

Under the 2.6.17 next gen version of madwifi the sensitivity was
outstanding for iwlist ath0 scan, but it didnt associate to a signal of
-83dBm, but that may have been pilot error, due to wep, mac filter etc
etc. Whereas the 2.4.30 rc6 driver just associated straight off the bat,
albiet at a reported signal of -95dBm.

Getting the old card or work via levering it up rather than sliding it out
as it is glued to the board, do the reverse when putting your new card in.

depending on which route you take the rc6 is simple you just see the new
interface

with the next gen kernel module you need to follow the madwifi guide about
wlanconfig commands to create the ath0 interface form the wifi0 then then
bring up the ath0.