[MLB-WIRELESS] OT: FC3 & Dual monitors??

Tom Fifield gummay at gummay.net
Wed Dec 13 00:41:57 EST 2006

They key is in your xorg.conf

I guess the important section is in ServerLayout

For example, the below says Screen1 is right of Screen0, and uses
xinerama to allow the desktop to span both screens.

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier     "Default Layout"
	Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
	Screen      1  "Screen1" RightOf "Screen0"
	InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
	Option	    "Xinerama" "on"
	Option	    "Clone" "off"
EndSection

Here's an example screen section:

Section "Screen"
	Identifier "Screen1"
	Device     "Videocard1"
	Monitor    "Monitor1"
	DefaultDepth     24
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth     24
		Modes    "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600"
	EndSubSection
EndSection

It just refers to a videocard and a monitor, and it's what sets the
resolution.

A device section says what driver module you're using (and optionally
the bus - if you have two of the same cards its a good idea to specify that)

Section "Device"
	Identifier  "Videocard1"
	Driver      "tdfx"
	VendorName  "Videocard Vendor"
	BoardName   "Voodoo3 (generic)"
	BusID       "PCI:1:10:0"
EndSection

The Monitor Section simply states names and the ranges for physical
characteristics (refresh rates etc) of your monitor.

Section "Monitor"

#	DisplaySize  330	240
	Identifier   "Monitor0"
	VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
	ModelName    "ViewSonic E70-7"
	HorizSync    30.0 - 70.0
	VertRefresh  50.0 - 120.0
	Option	    "dpms"
EndSection

Hopefully, combined with the default config you should be able to modify
it with similar stuff from the above so it works.

Queries welcome.

Regards,

Tom