[MLB-WIRELESS] Launching The Automagic Firmware Builder

Chris Samuel chris at csamuel.org
Sat Dec 2 15:54:23 EST 2006

On Saturday 02 December 2006 12:28 pm, Dan Flett wrote:

> Hi Chris,

Hiya,

> Thanks for giving it a go!

Not a problem, making something simple is a great incentive to try it out. ;-)

> In the Freifunk Firmware, the wireless interface is the "public" network
> and the LAN ports are the "private" network - i.e. your home LAN.  OLSR is
> not active on the LAN side.

I'd guessed that bit, but the problem I've got is that there's no indication
at all what IP address to use on that side and it doesn't appear to try and
get a DHCP address, so there's no way to connect to it (though the docs in
German seem to imply it should be running dropbear for SSH).

> If you've used OpenWRT before you'll find that the Freifunk Firmware is
> pretty restricted in what you can do - it has been designed instead to be
> user friendly and to enable non-technical people to set up a routed-adhoc
> network quickly and easily.

Yup, that's why I'm interested in trying it out, to make it easier to grow MW
we need a simple solution for nodes that (a) most non-techie people can
deploy and (b) is pretty secure.

> Because Freifunk is  based on OpenWRT you can make it do what you want, but
> you'll have to find out where the default values are kept and override them
> first.

I think what I need for now is just the default IP address and netmask that it
gets set up with on the wired side.  :-)

cheers,
Chris

This email may come with a PGP signature as a file. Do not panic.
For more info see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenPGP