[MLB-WIRELESS] Quiet list.

David Ashburner d_ashburner at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 1 06:31:28 EST 2006

> I've also ordered an ASUS WL-530g which looks to be a faster verions
> of whats in the WRT54GS except that its very tiny.  Its 129x44x29
> mm so it looks like it will fit in a 60mm PVC pipe.

Wow, that is small.

some info here:  http://wiki.wl500g.info/index.php/WL530g

It uses the Marvel chipset, looks like they have split the circuit
board into two parts, The CPU, RAM, flash and radio on one and the
power supply, ethernet switch and magnetics on the other.

Nice to see it is running Linux, though the ARM 9 processor is a bit of
a weakling ( 87 BogoMIPS ) and that there is an open console.
16 MB RAM and 4 MB flash is Ok, now, where is that  cross compiler
toolchain ...

I haven't seen any source released for Marvel, most devices use
VxWorks, so it's kind of interesting to see one running Linux. Well,
there you go ASUS have source on their download page and state that
they include it on every CD shipped with their product. Must impressive
to see a hardware vendor that seems to get what GPL is.

Funny how the open source community moves these things up to the latest
kernel versions but the manufacturers are still on 2.4.22 ( well they
have moved from 18 at last) and still using busybox 0.60, I suppose
they spend as little time on the software as they can.

  I think its more like a slower version of the 54G :(

http://www.asus.com.tw/products4.aspx?
l1=12&l2=43&l3=0&model=409&modelmenu=1