[MLB-WIRELESS] PCMCIA wireless cards for $9

Jonathan Gray jsg at goblin.cx
Fri Sep 30 14:18:45 EST 2005

On Fri, Sep 30, 2005 at 11:04:46AM +1000, Fenn Bailey wrote:
> http://www.ht.com.au/scripts/xworks.exe?PFRAME:H2060
>
> No idea how decent/many there are.
>
> >From a quick browse, they apparantly use a realtek chipset. They could be
> hideously bad and not work in linux at all, but for $9, they're probably not
> a bad choice if for nothing else but keeping dust out of your PCMCIA slots
> :)

Their picture is wrong there are no 16bit Realtek cards, 32bit
CardBus only.

These devices don't have firmware and are what is known as
software defined radios (SDR) as such it is possible to have
it act as an access point if the driver is clever enough.

They work alright using the version of David Young's driver
I ported to OpenBSD a while back, no idea how well the
Linux driver on sourceforge works but it looks messy.

I would be interested to hear which RF front end it uses
as I only have devices using the Philips SA2400 currently
and there are several other known ones such as Maxim and GCT.