[MLB-WIRELESS] Captive portal

Steven Haigh netwiz at crc.id.au
Thu Oct 13 12:37:37 EST 2005

On Thu, October 13, 2005 11:52, David Ashburner wrote:

> So, who's using one and what are you using?

Me! It's the custom MW one.

> I want to offer a broader range of access to MW members than a  leacher
> passing by.
>
> I played with NoCatSplash a while back but it doesn't have any
> authorization
> mechanism behind it.

I haven't actually looked at this. From what I read about them, they were
way too heavyweight for what actually needed to be done...

> Is there a way we can validate users against a MW service? Do we have a
> radius server running that could be accesed either through MW or via the
> Internet ( for Nodes that are not on the backbone yet)

Not RADIUS, but see below.

> What was being used at the monthly meeting in August?

The node at AAA (the scout hall) is sitting on a WRT54GS. We redirect all
port 80 and 53 traffic to the local system (using iptables), which fires
them off to the MW portal site over https (to stop people sniffing
passwords over the air). They then put in their details, which is verified
with the MW financial databaes, and then a yes/no answer is given back to
the AP. Very lightweight, and uses the MW auth system which can be
accessed anywhere.

For more info, come and see me at the next meet (although I'll be leaving
early as I have to be up at 5am for work the next day).

--
Steven Haigh

Email: netwiz at crc.id.au
Phone: (03) 9017 0597 - 0412 935 897