[MLB-WIRELESS] infrastructure thoughts

Steven Haigh netwiz at crc.id.au
Wed Nov 9 17:59:00 EST 2005

While this is a great idea for the use of wireless technology,
however not what Melbourne Wireless as a group should be looking at.
We want to make it clear that we are not a Service Provider, we are
not an ISP, we are not an Infrastructure Provider.

As a group, Melbourne Wireless is not about anything commercial, and
there is no way we can offer any level of service guarantees. This is
quite fine because we want to be a community organisation - and not a
commercial entity. While it would be great to see free wireless
internet access on all trains across Australia, it is not the place
for Melbourne Wireless to be involved.

This being said, I will gladly help you, your friends, your
neighbours, and anyone else get their own gear up and running and be
part of the community network that Melbourne Wireless is collectively
building.

You are correct, places like MetRail (or what was MetRail) have a
huge infrastructure - and usually long runs of fibre along their
tracks! - however they frown on giving away access to their
infrastructure when they charge lots of money to other companies. If
they did offer it however, I'm sure we'd jump at the chance to put
gear in strategic locations.

--
Steven Haigh

Email: netwiz at crc.id.au