[MLB-WIRELESS] VPNs

sanbar sandbar at ozemail.com.au
Sat Nov 12 23:05:22 EST 2005

Michael Borthwick wrote:

> On 12/11/2005, at 9:02 AM, David Ashburner wrote:
>

>>> Another thought regarding VPNs.  What we're really aiming to do is
>>> to create
>>> a tunnel.
>>>

>> Yep exactly - A tunnel that joins two parts of a wireless network
>> together so it can function as a network.
>

> as a wired network.

OK, before we start spinning off into factions made up of wired wannabes
and wireless purists, this may be the only way that Melbourne Wireless
becomes more than just Melbourne and wireless. If you're going to grow
the network, then wired tunnelling is one of many options, which may
even include carrier pigeon.  Don't dis it.
On the same side of the coin, two Melbourne Wireless members running a
closed network 200m apart makes fsck-all contribution to the greater
good. Is that any worse than two disparate nodes making a wired tunnel
that feeds into wireless links either end? I think not.
So who's with Netspace that's willing to make a tunnel? Message me
off-list for details. Let's show these pedantic freaked-out frequency
pansies what can be done.
Vak: VPN beer mate?

- Barry (of the flame-proof undergarments)

--
http://antifsck.dyndns.org