[MLB-WIRELESS] infrastructure thoughts

Simon Hall simon.hall at getstarted.com.au
Wed Nov 9 19:44:39 EST 2005

Sorry I should have made myself a bit clearer. I was meaning that using
strategic points throughout the Met rail netowork could give us a useful
core structure to build on.  Like I have said earlier I have not been
following things too closlely in the past 3 years as I have been in the UK
so if plans for a decent core network are already set in concrete then point
me in the right direction.

On another note, would tunneling through peoples broadband be out of the
question to connect remote links?  Simple VPN I suppose, but isn't there
some sort of encapsulation that you can use.  For the life of me I can't
remember what it is.  I remember some people talking about it when they were
thinking of putting in a POP in London (we were based in Edinburgh).

I think I am blethering now, but I have a few other suggestions.  Would
utilizing BGP be any good for a Mesh scenario? and Has anyone investigated
Solar/battery for running their AP.  My current location is going to make it
difficult for me to get out anywhere so I was thinking of investing in some
more equipment and asking someone nicely who lives up on the big hill near
Beaconsfield to let me put a node at their place.

Cheers and thanks for listening
Simon Hall