[MLB-WIRELESS] Fitzroy/Collingwood wireless update

TSwireless wireless at toysatellite.org
Tue May 31 17:52:39 EST 2005

Hello everyone,

Does anyone have a clear idea on the progress of any wireless
activities in the Fitzroy/Collingwood area?

Are there any Melbourne Wireless people more active in the area and if
so, is there anyone interested in collaborating on our proposed
SmithStreet Wireless initiative?

http://wireless.toysatellite.org/proj_smith_st_wifi/smith_street_wireless.php

The big question is, does the precinct need a wireless network and if
so, how will it be funded and sustained?

We had planned to move onto SmithStreet Wireless at least two years
ago. We had found a local business willing to work with us, but we
were caught up in major problems:

1. Who would fund it? Most people didn't want a dedicated content
based wireless server, they wanted free access to the internet where
ever they pleased.

2. Our tech team was extremely pressed for time so we were unable to
even get our prototype up and running.

The reason I'm raising this again is that we still have all the gear
from our TS Wireless project up on Queens Parade (which some of you
might remember) and I'd like to get something into the area before
Telstra does.

Anyone interested in making this happen?

andrew garton

toy satellite wireless
http://wireless.toysatellite.org