[MLB-WIRELESS] Antenna link

Alan gone_4wding at bigpond.com
Tue May 17 22:08:49 EST 2005

Horace,
I tend to agree, I pulled out all of my old electronics books and found
the formula for calculating the wave lenght. Even using a velocity
factor of 0.8 which is about the best you could expect from a coat
hanger I calculated a wave length of exactly 100mm. Using 1/2
wavelengths the straight sections should be 50mm, or perhaps a bit
longer if you were using copper wire.
How often is the anayser at the meetings? any idea who owns it?

Just for interests sake, the formula I used for the wavelength is

Speed of light
--------------  x 0.8(velocity factor of wire)
2.4 Ghz

this works out like
300,000,000 metres/second
2400000000 Cycles/second

My other problem was the connector on the bottom was a PL259 which is
not exactly rated at 2.4 Ghz. I look in the latest Jaycar catalogue and
find that they are advertising a ready made 5dB dipole antenna for
$19.95. Why am I wasting my time!. Mind you they will not be in stock
until 4th July.

Alan Barrow