[MLB-WIRELESS] Proxim 802.11a AP's

Tim Hogard thogard at knotty.abnormal.com
Sun Mar 20 22:33:22 EST 2005

Paul Said:
> What I was referring to was the comment regarding the 5.7-5.8GHz
> band not being officially a part of the 802.11a standard.  The standard
> I am referring to is the IEEE 802.11a standard - 1999.

Oh, the "which standard?" problem...
Starting with the ACA:
AS/NZS 4771:2000 is mostly for Wireless LAN like things but
doesn't include 5.2.
AS/NZS 4268 is the one that covers 5.2 local LANs.

As far as the IEEE standard... I thought 11a had died so I didn't
keep up with it.  I'm not even sure that IEEE is authrotitve for
11b and 11g anymore since the WiFi Alliance has their own specs.

Early 802.11a was just 5.2 and not 5.8.  I was under the impression
that the 5.8 version of 802.11a got another letter after the 11.
All the 802.11a gear I have ever seen will do 5.2 and but some of it
will also do 5.8.

-tim
http://web.abnormal.com