[MLB-WIRELESS] internet tunnelling between nodes

Tony Langdon (ATC) tlangdon at atctraining.com.au
Tue Mar 15 11:26:54 EST 2005

I believe it's a case of horses for courses.  Direct wireless connectivity
would be preferred.... where possible, but I see no reason why excess
Internet capacity can't be utilised to link remote clusters of nodes into
the network.  I may initially have to resort to using a VPN, until I can get
a local link happening with nearby nodes.  At least a VPN would allow me to
link into the main network.

Long term, I'd much prefer to use a direct wireless link, mainly because the
128k upstream bandwidth will be my limiting factor.  Even if I got less
effective bandwidth over wireless, at least then it wouldn't be competing
with a lot of other traffic...

As Mark said, it's a bit like IRLP/Echolink on amateur radio, and before
that, packet "wormholes", where local networks (voice or data) are
interconnected via the Internet to provide economical long haul coverage.
It may not be "pure" wireless, but certainly a useful hybrid system that can
be very useful in bringing the network together.  And there's no reason one
can't move to a fully wireless solution when connectivity becomes
available...  The use of VPNs also allows more Melbourne Wireless specific
services to be offered network wide.  Also, this will make MW wide DNS more
useful, since the network will have some basic level of connectivity...

Count me in. :)