[MLB-WIRELESS] Internet Access

Dan Flett conhoolio at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 28 14:28:59 EST 2005

>So is Melbourne Wireless a "Community Network" or a "Community ISP" similar
>to what APANA once was?
>
>If it's the latter then myself and I'm sure many others bid you all
>farewell.
>
>I have an internet connection as does obviously everyone else on this list,
>why would I give that up for an underperforming ADSL connection shared with
>3 dozen others which I access via a network with 45% down time and shabby
>security?

As I said earlier, the aim would not be for Melbourne Wireless to become an
ISP per se, or for it to be a replacement for your cabled Internet
connection.  The aim would be for Melbourne Wireless to offer Internet
access as a side-show to the main event of creating a free-access,
high-bandwidth, city-wide data backbone - which is what we're all about, I'm
sure you agree.

The Internet access offered by Melbourne Wireless would be slow and limited,
but the backbone that it is carried upon would be fast and reliable, and
paid for by people's non-compulsory donations and membership fees.

>It simply doesn't make financial or practical sense and we've discussed it
>many times always with the same result.

What I'd like to see is a list of hurdles that need to be overcome.   We the
rank-and-file membership of Melbourne Wireless can then decide amongst
ourselves what is and isn't practical.  It is an issue of central importance
to the entire membership of the group, yet I feel that all the options and
decisions have been discussed and decided in Committee meetings before
ordinary members are able to consider their feasability.

>There's also the fact that you shouldn't put the cart before the horse.
>Where is your community network with DNS, QoS, decent routing, reliable
>backbone links, etc?

Where's the decent backbone?  How's it going to be paid for?  If Melbourne
Wireless Inc. is going to pay for it, where's the money coming from?  I
believe that a decent backbone can only be provided if people pool their
financial resources - and Melbourne Wireless Inc. is best placed to manage
that financial "pool".  I also believe that people won't donate much to the
cause unless there's Internet involved - even if it's a slow trickle feed.

But at the moment, with no Internet on the network people's interest in it
is on a par with their interest in Ham Radio.  Not that there's anything
wrong with Hams :) - it's just a hobby that's not for everyone.  If there
was something on the network that the majority could understand I think we'd
see it grow and improve a lot faster.

Perhaps I'm wrong - perhaps a majority of node-owners will donate money even
if there's no Internet on the network.  I'd like to be proven wrong on that
count.  I think through the current discussion on the list we've established
that the reason why we can't offer Internet on the network has more to do
with administrative hassles imposed by the AG's Department rather than
whether the ACA would see it as commercial or non-commercial.  If we can
convince the ACA that MW accepting donations or an increased membership fee
to fund backbone hardware is still non-commercial, then maybe offering
Internet on the network is not such an important issue.

I guess the core of the issue is I'm thinking of ways for Melbourne Wireless
to increase it's funding base so that a proper backbone can be built.  At
the moment I think the Membership fee is too low, and that other efforts to
raise money are not bearing fruit.

As I've said, I think it can be sucessfully argued to the ACA that the act
of payment of the Membership fee is not linked to the provision of network
access, and that therefore our network passes their test of
non-commerciality as required by the Act.  I believe we can use the money
raised from increased Membership fees to purchase Backbone equipment.
Reliable, long range equipment - i.e. not 802.11b equipment.