[MLB-WIRELESS] Internet Access

Tony Langdon, VK3JED vk3jed at optushome.com.au
Tue Jun 28 12:47:45 EST 2005

At 12:27 PM 6/28/2005, Dan Flett wrote:

>I don't think that keeping the authorities satisfied is by any means going
>to be a walk in the park, but if we think about it in a positive way,
>explore the posibilites, and start to formulate a plan, we may well be
>able to come up with something that works.

Agreed, it should be "doable".

>>MW does not have the resources for the administrative overhead required
>>to become either a Carrier or CSP.
>
>How much administration is required?  If we keep logs, verify and
>authenticate users, and only allow limited access to the Internet, I
>believe we can keep the administrative overhead down.
>
>How about people come up with some ideas about how to make this work,
>rather than thinking about how it's not going to work?

Well, can something like NoCatAuth be made to work?  Or would some clever
coder out there need to knock up a customised system to track users?

Given our decentralised nature, we'd want something that can check with a
backend (perhaps located on the Internet), regardless of which node a
member logged into, and some kind of access control system that runs on all
major routing nodes, at least.

Might take a while to get going, but who knows what's possible.

I guess step 1 is determining the EXACT requirements for compliance with
the relevant legislation and other guidelines.

73 de VK3JED
http://vkradio.com