[MLB-WIRELESS] Route Aggregation and IP Allocation

Ryan Abbenhuys sneeze at alphalink.com.au
Mon Jun 27 13:14:13 EST 2005

>Unfortunately, implementing this idea would involve everyone having to
give
>up their IP addresses and us all starting over again.  Of course this
would
>cause massive upheaval and may kill the network that we have built so far.

>So I don't suggest that we should jump into doing something like this
>lightly.  Perhaps someone can suggest a way of migrating to such a system
>over time.

To be honest we're really not dealing with a heavily used piece of critical
infrastructure so it's probably not worth worrying too much about breaking
things during a changeover.

It's probably best to wait until a new online allocation system is up and
running rather than manually assigning IP's now.

A new system should allow someone from each region with appropriate
permissions to manipulate allocations as required when the network changes.
 There should be an option to choose the size of the subnet to issue as of
course not everyone needs a /28. You may find in a lot of cases those not
running AP's will only need a /29 or /30.