[MLB-WIRELESS] Route Aggregation and IP Allocation

Dan Flett conhoolio at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 27 12:27:28 EST 2005

Returning to the issue of Route Aggregation and IP Allocation - I believe
there is a way to allocate IP addresses in a Metropolitan-Area-Network like
ours that has a hope of working - and that is to scrap the existing system
allow the existing (and future) network clusters to apply for large slices
of the overall metropolitan supernet, and then allow the clusters to slice
their allocation into smaller networks.

This is a "bottom-up" approach - the overall 10.10.0.0/16 supernet that
Melbourne Wireless uses should remain unallocated until a cluster applies
for a slice.  It could then be allocated a /23 or /24, which the cluster
would then, under it's own local administration, slice into /28s for local
nodes.

Currently we have taken a "top-down" approach to IP allocation.  We have
sliced Melbourne into 11 geographic regions based on expected areas of
internal connectivity.  The regions have had /20 supernets assigned to them
from Melbourne Wirleless's 10.10.0.0/16.  Some of these regions are very
large - RGSouthern and RGPeninsula for example, and have more than one
network cluster within their geographic borders.  The nodes within the
Region Group have had /28 subnets assigned to them without regard as to
which cluster they are in within that Region.  Each cluster usually only has
one or two uplinks providing extra-cluster connectivity, but because there
are multiple clusters sharing subnets from the same /20 allocation pool, it
is impossible to aggregate the routes on a per-cluster basis.  The
"bottom-up" approach solves this problem.

In our existing network, which the clusters the way they are, we would
simply allow existing network clusters to work out for themselves that they
are a cluster, and where the borders should be drawn.  The node-owners in
that cluster could then give themselves a name.  Council or suburb names
would be a good idea.  The cluster centred around Vaskos' Node BHH could be
called Coburg.net.  The cluster that my node (GMR) is in could be called
Glen-Eira.net.  Just some ideas...  I don't think it would be a problem
using suburb names - there are plenty of businesses and community groups
that use suburb or council names and I don't think they need the permsission
of their Local Council to do so.

Unfortunately, implementing this idea would involve everyone having to give
up their IP addresses and us all starting over again.  Of course this would
cause massive upheaval and may kill the network that we have built so far.
So I don't suggest that we should jump into doing something like this
lightly.  Perhaps someone can suggest a way of migrating to such a system
over time.

Anyway, something to think about and discuss.  This is basically a similar
problem to the problem the Internet itself had in the early 90's.  The
result was the invention of Classless-Inter-Domain-Routing (CIDR), which
made IP address allocation more efficient.  While we aren't running out of
IP space, we are having problems aggregating our routes.  We have the
benefit of hindsight and can hopefully deal with the problem without too
much pain.

Here's a link that explains CIDR:
http://public.pacbell.net/dedicated/cidr.html

Cheers,