[MLB-WIRELESS] 4 (almost) non-overlapping channels

Tony Langdon, VK3JED vk3jed at optushome.com.au
Mon Jun 27 11:59:26 EST 2005

At 11:39 AM 6/27/2005, Dan Flett wrote:
>I've found an interesting article about non-overlapping channels in 802.11b/g
>
>http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973,708876,00.asp
>
>Conventional wisdom says that channels 1, 6 and 11 are the only
>non-overlapping channels in 802.11b/g.  This article claims that

1/6/11, 2/6/12 or 3/8/13 in Australia (The US has only 1-11 available,
hence the not quite correct reference here)...

>channels 1, 4, 8 and 11 (and 13 or 14 where allowed) can be used with
>minimal or no interference issues.   The article mainly deals with APs,
>evenly spaced in an indoor environment.  It doesn't take into account a
>situation where you might have four high-powered APs on a single mast.
>
>Also, using channels 4 and 8 in an environment where everyone else is
>using channel 6 might be a problem.

Have that problem here.  I run on channel 13 here, which is out the way,
but there are other APs within range on channels 6 and 7.  That could be an
issue when I get round to putting my AP up a pole.  Fortunately, in the
long term, I can "reclaim" channel 13, by converting my internal LAN to
802.11a.  That will leave me 2 clear channels - one low, one high, and make
the internal network a smaller target for wardrivers (who would see all the
open but firewalled stuff outside :) ).

73 de VK3JED
http://vkradio.com