[MLB-WIRELESS] OSPF BGP

Ryan Abbenhuys sneeze at alphalink.com.au
Wed Jun 22 16:42:24 EST 2005

BGP (Border Gateway Protocol) is actually, as strange as this may seem....a
"Border Gateway Protocol". Meaning it is designed to run on the border of
network clusters (Autonomous Systems) to link them together.

For example, an ISP would use BGP to communicate routes (heavily aggregated
of course) out of their links to other ISP's, however within their own
building/network they will use OSPF, EIGRP, or similar.

To relate this to the Melbourne Wireless network, it would be like us using
BGP to link regional clusters together, while within the clusters using
OSPF.  This would work perfectly fine, although possibly a little overkill
due to extremely small size of our network, when compared to the internet,
OSPF should be quite sufficient.

So really the only people who would need to confuse themselves with
learning a second routing protocol would be those who are running the
backbone links between regional clusters.

As for the OSPF not functioning too well with everyone on area 0, that is
correct, it won't work too well.  Search through the mailing list archives,
I brought up this subject several times after a lot of research and
discussions with networking industry experts (who would normally charge a
LOT for their time) in an effort to steer people onto the right path,
although like IP allocations, with little success.

>I don't think there needs to be any sort of official "decision" to *test*
>BGP.  We're not scrapping OSPF - any testing I do will fully support
anyone
>who uses OSPF.
>
>At the moment we're not even using OSPF the way the Melbourne Wireless
>guidelines say we should.  Everyone I know of is using OSPF Area 0,
because
>experience shows that's the only way that properly works in our situation.
>When we use OSPF Area numbers, routing breaks because we don't connect to
>each other the way OSPF expects us to.  And we shouldn't have to.  We
should
>have a routing protocol that works for us the way we operate naturally.
We