[MLB-WIRELESS] GHO ----- UPDATE!

Ryan Abbenhuys sneeze at alphalink.com.au
Mon Jun 20 17:07:07 EST 2005

Dan, you're spot on the money.

Eventually to maintain any usefulness they need to be restricted to around
3 connections each and used to link the large clusters together via a
nominated node in each cluster.

Each nominated uplink node should not be propogating their entire route
table but rather aggregating their routes and propogating only a couple
that will cover everyone in their cluster.  ie, 10.10.128.0 with a mask of
255.255.254.0 (/23) which would cover 10.10.128.1 right through to
10.10.129.254

This is done to prevent unnecesary routing traffic.  A node in RGsouthern
doesn't really need to know about each individual nodes status in
RGInnerNorth, they only need to know how to get to the entire cluster of
InnerNorth.  If the particular node is down, their pings timeout after they
get as far as they can.

Sure it gives you a warm a fuzzy feeling to see a nice big route list but
technically you want the opposite of that. You want the smallest route list
you can get and this is what route aggregation is for.

The next thing to look at is those backbone uplink nodes should setup some
simply QoS.  QoS tags won't be that useful because not everyone is going to
be reading/supporting them so your best option is to queue packets based on
port numbers.  For example give high priorities to ports for gaming, chat,
telnet, etc that want low latency and give ports for http, ftp, etc a low
priority.

...however before a lot of this happens the IP allocation system needs a
complete overhaul or you're in for a painful surprise further down the
track.
This is something I unsuccessfully tried to campaign for. :-\