GHO

Dan Flett dflett at bigpond.com
Thu Jun 16 10:08:43 EST 2005

Hi Glenn,

Darren, Justin and I had a day of fun and frivolity up at GHO yesterday.  We
managed to sort out what was wrong with the Southern panel - with the help
of NodeGES.  The label on the back was wrong so it was vertical instead of
horizontal.  It's now horizontal and should be sporting the SSID of
"GHO-South" on channel 1.  I say should, because in all the swapping around
we gave it an SSID of "GHO-Mobile" and it might not have gotten changed.
It's the 100mW Symbol AP with the 18dB panel on it and it's pointing
straight at node GES.  It has the address range of 10.10.130.76/28

The Northern panel antenna is still the same as it was but its SSID is now
"GHO-North", still on Channel 11.  Same old address range of 10.10.129.0/28.
So you should still be able to pick it up if for some reason the Symbol AP
has a problem.  And there's now my 200mW Senao AP and Superpass antenna up
there, on channel 6, SSID "GHO-Mobile".  Address range 10.10.131.65/28.
They've positioned the mast behind the Superpass to act as a crude reflector
- we'll see if anyone can pick it up.  They're talking about putting an amp
on it - Justin is quite keen to be able to drive around and pick it up in
his car.  But it should be good to act as a beacon and let people know if
they can connect or not, and how good that connection will be.

Lastly, a 5.8GHz Motorola Canopy Base unit has been installed up there as
well.  Tim Hogard wants to be able to link Node HVC in the city with Node
GHO, via Doncaster Shoppingtown.  We'll see in the next few days if this
works.  The Canopy specs a max range of 10km, but I'm told you can scrape in
with 20km.  Doncaster Shoppingtown is just over 20km away from GHO, so we're
crossing our fingers for Tim. :)  If the Canopy stuff all works it will be
the beginning of a true backbone for Melbourne Wireless.

I had a WRT54GS of mine all set up and ready to go as an OSPF router between
all of the APs, but just at the last minute, I managed to well and truly
screw it.  I set an NVRAM setting that should have worked (clkfreq=216), but
didn't and rendered the box unbootable.  I am going to set up another WRT
today and give it to Darren to put up there on the weekend.  It should be a
simple matter of dropping the new one in, leaving me to try and recover the
"old" one.  I haven't opened the box up so in the worst case I might be able
to do what Steven Haigh did and get Linksys to replace it under warranty.
If they won't replace it I can try to use EJTAG to reflash it.  Otherwise
it's a $150 switch. :)

I think that's all.  You're now up to date.

Cheers,

Dan