[MLB-WIRELESS] [OT] Deal on home phones.

Steve Smithies steve42 at gmx.net
Wed Jun 15 18:18:07 EST 2005

Gabrielle Harrison & Paul van den Bergen wrote:
> personally I have been toying with the idea of switching over to
> broadband  and getting a VOIP phone... anyone have an opinion on that?

Unless you're thinking of cable or wireless broadband, I wish you luck
in finding an ISP that can provide you an ADSL connection without having
to pay Telstra $18/month for the copper line rental, with the basic home
phone package.

I'd love to rent just the copper line, without having to pay for a home
phone I don't use, and then put that money towards my mobile, or VoIP.

It doesn't help, either, when some ISP's billing/login systems are
linked to your phone number.

The best I found, when I looked a year ago, was a 2nd tier (I think
that's the term) provider, who quoted me something over $500/month (of
which $20 probably goes to Telstra anyway!)

That rant aside, I've used PC to PC VoIP a little bit, and found it to
work really well - applications like Skype and Firefly are easy to set
up, use relatively little bandwidth, and have excellent audio quality.
Family friends have used VoIP for calling people in the UK, and are very
impressed with it.

Steve.