[MLB-WIRELESS] OSPF BGP

Grant Diffey nevyn-wlan at artificial-stupidity.net
Sun Jul 3 13:21:52 EST 2005

On Sun, Jun 26, 2005 at 07:22:20PM +1000, Brenton D. wrote:
> I would really like to test bgp out especially on the routers directly
> connected to node GHO!
> We can still run ospf as a backup.
>
> Nevyn?

The problem is that all these routing protocols are DUMB++ and
we can't run both BGP and ospf on a single network (where GHO is
2 networks one on north and one on south.

The bigger issue as I see it with BGP is that because wifi networks
fluctuate quite wildly we need some sort of dynamic metric system to
achieve a reasonable throughput. so that the network can avoid the dodgy
links.  The problem I see with BGP is that it's reducing the amount of
information about the network that core routers have.

ile I agree with dan regarding the autonomous system argument to some
extent I also think that ospf has an advantage that every node has a
complete database of the entire network and can choose the lowest cost
route to a particular host which given the ammount that wireless links
fluctuate will be essential to getting reasonable levels of throughput
over the network.

--
Grant Diffey aka "nevyn"
http://www.luv.asn.au/