[MLB-WIRELESS] Re: [RGSouthern] Just to prove we're not dead yet

Ryan Abbenhuys sneeze at alphalink.com.au
Thu Jan 27 18:59:41 EST 2005

The IP allocation system has to be completely overhauled.  I kept saying
this....and saying this...and...

If you want GHO to be a backbone node then yes...it has to be backbone node
in area 0.0.0.0

The problem with nodes being split is where you require sub regions within
regions.  Or you must make area 0.0.0.0 snake it's way carefully through
each region.  The problem with this is that the backbone may require moving
regularley depending on how network topology changes.

What you want to achieve with your decision is the cutting down of
unnecesary route updates.  The routing updates preferably being kept locally
(within clusters where all of the ad-hoc linking is occuring), then what you
have the backbone nodes at the edges of each cluster or region pumping out
are static routes like 10.10.128-129.x is that way---->   and 10.10.40-41.x
is this way  <----.  So adding routes that point towards entire
regions/clusters rather than every individual node in that area.

This requires those running the backbone nodes to maintain the static routes
they are injecting to other areas.  Yes it's manual routing to a degree but
lets be honest, you're at least another 10 years away from having the number
of nodes to require a completely autonomous system if it even gets that far.
At which point if you want you can setup BGP between clusters/regions as by
that stage they are hopefully easier to distinguish and larger.

Sorry if i'm rather blunt...I still hold a grudge against WGrouting claiming
/32's work.