[Syd-Wireless] RE: [MLB-WIRELESS] Is Melbourne Wireless dead?

Tony Langdon (ATC) tlangdon at atctraining.com.au
Thu Jan 20 10:43:27 EST 2005

> Personally, I still like the idea of wireless as a higher
> speed alternative to DSL and PtP file sharing and streaming.

I agree.  I see wireless as an alternative to VPNs that some friends
establish between their networks.  Also, by providing wireless access to the
locals, I also gain as a side effect, my own hot spot that I can use to
access the Internet via VPN over wireless.  Given there there is at least
one park within 1/2 km of home, this could make the project worth doing,
regardless of whether anyone else connects or not.

Popular downloads, such as Linux distros can be made available for local
wireless users.  Or mabne I'll start some other services.  I can feel an
upgrade coming on, so I can either host more services on the firewall box,
or add another (dedicated) virtual machine to the main system to service
wireless users. :-)

> I know of many functioning and still growing networks in the
> Sydney area and surrounds that people still consider worth
> being expanded and looked after.
>
> Admittedly DSL is better these days, but not as "free" as wireless.

Agreed, and it's the "free" (from commercial interests) aspect that I like.
Same reason I like to play with other radio based systems.  I'm not one to
be herded into a corner and left there... :-)