[MLB-WIRELESS] IP allocations within a node???

Tim Hogard thogard at knotty.abnormal.com
Mon Feb 28 14:09:38 EST 2005

> I'd suggest not using DHCP for this as if a connection is lost & then
> regained a new (different) ip address may be allocated - thus causing
> problems where servers change addresses (and if DNS is in place, more
> problems there too) - I'd suggest sticking with static IPs, which is
> what Cam and I are planning to do.

I sort of agree.  DHCP makes the clients easy so it should be used
but you don't want to get another address every time the guy downs
the road use his nice new $49.95 microwave oven so.  The AP may
need to change pools of address from time to time which means then
the AP owner has to get in contact with every one else and arrange
a good time to do the switch.

What I would recomened isusing DHCP but put your mac address in
so you alwasy get the same address.  Then the AP owner can change your
IP address when its needed but you get the same address.

-tim
http://web.abnormal.com