[MLB-WIRELESS] DNS......READ THIS!

Brenton D ivile01 at yahoo.com.au
Wed Feb 23 21:05:18 EST 2005

What happens if you have more than 1 server at the
same node site?
Fut still resolves to 10.10.128.5 the old days.
--- owner-melbwireless at wireless.org.au
<horacepinker at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the reminder, I am one of the people that
hasnt really been
> keeping up with this, and was about to suggest the
need for a zero hour
> register on the melb wireless web site.
> My thoughts ran along the lines of assigning a name
to the nodes first ip
> address in the requested range, which when active
can be automatically added
> to the register. There would have to be provisions
for letting people choose
> a different ip for their assigned name as well as
allowing multiple domain
> names if some one required it (would this case pop
up?) , heh sometimes i
> wish i knew more about this stuff hehe
> but anyway i think plenty of good ideas have already
been suggested so its
> now a matter of implementation yeah ?
>
> >From: "Ryan Abbenhuys" <sneeze at alphalink.com.au>
> >To: <melbwireless at wireless.org.au>
> >Subject: [MLB-WIRELESS] DNS......READ THIS!
> >Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 19:09:49 +1100
> >
> >Here we go again...
> >
> >Some people have bad memory and someone on the
current committee needs to
> >document this somewhere obvious.
> >
> >Currently if you would like a DNS name drop an
email to the committee list
> >with the IP and node ID.
> >
> >The committee will then pass the details to the
kind person who runs
> >www.mwnode.com
> >
> >They will map nodename.mwnode.com to whatever
melbwireless IP address you
> >are using.
> >For example try pinging "aaf.mwnode.com" and you
will see it resolves to
> >10.10.128.1 which is my IP. Of course you can't get
a reply unless you are
> >connected to a section of the wireless network that
is connected to me.

> >As 99% of people have an Internet connection many
of which are permenant
> >they can simply use their ISP's DNS server to
resolve Node IP addresses
> >meaning they next to no extra config.
> >
> >For those who don't have Internet access a kind
soul in the area on the
> >wireless network who also has a permenant internet
connection can run a
> >simple DNS server that looks up Internet DNS
servers. I believe most if
> >not
> >all DNS servers do this as default and require no
configuration to get to
> >this point.
> >
> >You can see on www.mwnode.com all of the nodes that
currently have DNS

majordomo at wireless.org.au
> >with "unsubscribe melbwireless" in the body of the
message

majordomo at wireless.org.au
> with "unsubscribe melbwireless" in the body of the
message

=====
Brenton (iViLe)
Access node fut from the web, live stats. http://211.28.235.187:6111