[MLB-WIRELESS] RE: opening a WRT54G

Winder winder at iinet.net.au
Mon Feb 14 18:26:57 EST 2005

Howdy,

 After feedback from the list, I put some heatsinks on the two main ICs in
my WRT54G, the ADMtek LAN chip, and the Broadcom4712.

 The heat sinks must be doing something, as they get as hot as! Hot enough
to hurt the end of your finger on initial contact. I wonder how these things
didn't fry without heat sinks before. I heard about burning these things up
when you up the power, and I can understand why!

 However, I have another question. When you up the power output, which chip
is the one that dies? Is it the Broadcom chip or is it a driver IC of some
sort, like the little one under the RF shielding. I would expect that a
device under the RF shielding should be the one amplifing the signal to
output more power...

 Anyone know?

Regards,
g at z.