[MLB-WIRELESS] RE: Making Progress

Dan Flett conhoolio at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 14 09:07:20 EST 2005

Hi Matthew,

If you're going to run your card as a client to another Node's AP then
you'll use an IP address from the address range of that AP.  The AP might
even run DHCP so you'll get an address automatically.

If you're going to run your own AP and accept connections from others, then
you'll need to go to your node entry in the Melbourne Wireless Mapping
database and mark its status as "Testing" or "Operational".  You'll then be
able to apply for an IP address block allocation.  Once approved you'll
receive a /28 block (= netmask 255.255.255.240) which is 16 addresses - 14
of which you can use - because the highest and lowest addresses in the block
are reserved as your Broadcast and Network addresses, respectively.

Repeating: you don't need your own address block if you're not accepting
connections from other nodes yet.  If you're connecting to someone else's AP
use an address from their address range.

Cheers,

Dan