[MLB-WIRELESS] WRT54GS

Mark Farrell themakr at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 12:18:45 EST 2005

Hi,

I just bought a GS and reflashed it with OpenWRT and found a few
problems with the latest snapshot.

First the tar utility does not work. gzip works fine but tar just
refuses to untar files (very annoying).

Second is trying to change the lan ip of the router with "nvram set
lan_ipaddr 192.168.*.*" after you do this, commit it to the flash and
restart the router, it fails to respond to any ip address (which i
found very scary).

The way i found to fix this problem it to flash back to the linksys
firmware set the lan ip in that firmware and dont change it when you
put the router back on openWRT. (just wanted to give people a heads up
so they don't crap themselves when their shiny new router seemingly
dies).

P.S I have been playing around with NoCatSplash and cant seem to
figure out how to work it. Any help would be appreciated.

P.P.S I think i know the answer to this question but i will ask it
anyway. To use WDS both routers need to be WDS complient, dont they?

P.P.P.S In response to Dan's ponderings about using speed boost
between WDS WRT's it ain't possible. Read it somewhere in the openWRT
users guide. Didnt say anything about AP/Client mode though.

-Mark