[MLB-WIRELESS] Building the MW Network

David Ashburner d_ashburner at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 27 13:41:32 EST 2005

>OK- I've parsed the archives and see the challenges re below.  Looks
>like an impasse... I'll focus on interconnecting with my friends nearby
>and check back with MW later...

Ah, and there-in lies the problem - New members who could become part of a
Network are turned off before they become engaged.

History is history. So, at least for the last year or so the general goal
has been build the backbone. What is the backbone to be used for? who knows,
I don't care I see the value of having it established, BUT as has been
dicussed at the monthly meetings a bit this does only have limited appeal
for those people that are technical enough to be involved in the backbone.

IMHO we need to have three things running concurrently:

* Backbone establishment. As is being (slowly) developed.

* Community/Neighborhood mesh. Either standard client or OSLR type mesh.
Every Backbone Node
    exists to support a cloud of leaf nodes, the leaf nodes to support
clients. I've been thinking
    about My Neighbourhood - what would be the use of having a Community
network there -
    perhaps a wiki/web site that provides neighbourhood information,
information about MW and
    how to link-in. This is an aspect of the Network that really has not had
too much thought put
    into it as far as I can see.  This may be very appealing to peopl ethat
are not Backbone focused
    but are interested in MW.

* Hotspot rollout.  If every MW Node that is registered actually ran a
hotspot package and allowed
    controlled access to other members we would have awesome coverage.

Potential new members are turned off unless they are interested in the
Backbone. They should be encouraged to "brand" their AP as a MW hotspot -
even if they don't initially offer any public or member services. At least
they become part of the Network. Potential new members are kind of lost in
our fuzzy Backbone oriented message, we should make it clear that there are
different types of nodes, that any member can be a node and provide Network
access  of some sort and post some information about what kit to buy if you
want to run the software needed to become a Hotspot, Leaf Node, Backbone
Node.

>an

What I think would be a good idea here is kind of like what happens at the
meetings - If you have a node and you want to allow Internet access then you
do so. Some nodes will be wide open, others restricted while others
completely closed. But, if enough of us open them up for members at least
then any MW member in range of a node can get their email or whatever (
including tunneling back to their own Node). If they can do this through the
backbone well and good, it's a bonus. Sharing our bandwidth with each other
is one way we form a Network, We provide value to each other while better
utilizing the services we pay for from our ISPs.

To that end we have been working on a more packaged version of the hotspot
software for those that run Linux on their nodes.  You can download it if
you are interested in Beta testing it.

http://www.melbournewireless.org.au/wiki/?MWRPHotspot

Ah, Membership fees. We touched on that in the November AGM. Like, $10 is a
joke. If the concern is that there are members that don't have the means to
pay a $50  membership fee then let's create a student/other membership class
to embrace them while getting those of us that can to pay a more realistic
membership fee. Gee, how about if you have a node and provide access you get
a membershiop discount, on the backbone a greater discount?

Then the comittee has a bit more $$ to work with for setting up and
maintaining the backbone Nodes.

I know it's all a little too difficult and no one has any time , bla bla bla
Anyway, Happy New Year to all !!!