[MLB-WIRELESS] A little advice request

Brian Jinks bjinks at optusnet.com.au
Fri Dec 23 01:52:40 EST 2005

First, what I now have.
I have a wireless connection to a friend across the road using two
SVEC FD1811A APs with small parabolic reflectors which have given trouble free
service for some time now. The APs are powered by POE as both are remote from
their respective networks.
This connection is to the north west, about 70 metres.

I'm using a Linksys BEFSR41 Router to manage the connections with a Surecom
8 port switch on my side to connect my little home network.
My main machine is running Linux with which I am reasonably proficient and I
have another box running Win 98 SE as well as an older laptop running Linux.

I have two Galaxy TV antennas, one slightly larger than the other which may
mean that one is a higher gain than the other.
I have the expertise and the instructions as to how to modify these antennas.

I would now like to make a connection to another place which is to the north,
about 3.6kms.
This connection is important to me and that is where my efforts will be
concentrated at first.

Node ECF is approximately 200 metres just a few degrees west of south from me
and Node HTP is about 1.6 kms to the north east.
I have read in the Wiki page that Nodes ECF and HTP cannot form a reliable
connection, I'm assuming that the trees in the Kooringal golf course might
have a lot to do with this.
I would like to be able to offer ECF and HTP a means to connect via my system
if it is possible. To do this will probably mean that I will have to set up
two antennas one at either end of my house to avoid the double story houses
of my neighbours.

I have a couple of boxes (computers) that aren't doing anything at the moment
that would be pressed into service for the Melb. Wireless connections.

Okay, now I'm willing and financially able to buy and setup the gear but I'm
not sure as to the best way to go about it all so, I'm willing to listen to
suggestions.

Brian.