[MLB-WIRELESS] New world record for wifi link (125 Miles).

Dan Flett conhoolio at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 6 09:42:49 EST 2005

> From: owner-melbwireless at wireless.org.au
> [mailto:owner-melbwireless at wireless.org.au] On Behalf Of Tony
> Langdon, VK3JED
> At 02:03 AM 8/6/2005, you wrote:
> >Mt Macedon to Lake Mountain (about 100k) would be a good start after
> >some short range testing.
> >
> >Also Mt Macedon to Mt Buller or Mt Stirling (about 160k) would be a
> >good 2nd test if needed.
> >
> >Can anyone plot these to see if anything is in the way.
>
> We have to be careful about direction, something tells me
> those two lie along the main ridge of Mt Macedon, which could
> cause Fresnel zone issues.
>
> Does anyone have a good (preferably topographic) map we can
> use to plot various paths on?

I have a piece of software called TUMAUS (www.tumaus.com.au) which can
produce reasonable shaded contour maps and overlay lines between two points
- it can't produce elevation profiles though - Radio Mobile can do that.

I'll make some maps and post them on the wiki in the next couple of days.

> Also, I was going to suggest that this might be a good
> activity for Friday's meeting.  Unfortunately, this week is
> especially bad for me, as I'm effectively triple booked, and
> one of those is an annual event I've been waiting 2 years to
> participate in (first time in Melbourne).

I also can't make it to Friday's meeting, and weekends in general are bad
for me, so my participation in this record attempt will be from the
sidelines.  I can offer advice and loan equipment.

Cheers,

Dan