[MLB-WIRELESS] New world record for wifi link (125 Miles).

Tony Langdon, VK3JED vk3jed at optushome.com.au
Tue Aug 2 23:56:57 EST 2005

At 11:34 PM 8/2/2005, Josh Clarke wrote:
>Don't know if this helps, but the Telstra CDMA guys bounced their
>signals off earths stratosphere? as they were having the same troubles
>with curvature...

Usually takes a bit of power to do.  Something WiFi doesn't have...

We may have to resort to meteorology and tropospheric analysis to crack
this nut....  Hope we get a duct at the right height on a warm summers
evening. :)

Also, as an aside, we might want to look at having two or more DX records -
amateur (i.e. use the amateur service rules, so any antenna goes, maybe any
power?)  amateur barefoot (any antenna, no external amplifier) and
unlicenced (staying within the 4W EIRP power limit).

Obviously, for the amateur categories, the nodes have to carry the callsign
of the amateur who's supervising the link at each end, and they also have
to use a channel that is completely within the band 2400 - 2450 MHz.  For
unlicenced, no ID needed and any convenient channel can be used (I'd
probably choose something near the middle of the band, say channel 7 for
unlicenced - might get that extra wee bit of performance).

Finally, a word on sites.  Mt Macedon has one big potential problem - a
high noise floor.  It might be worth looking further out of town foi
suitable sites.  The northern side of Mt Macedon (from Camels Hump) is
likely to be quieter, and then we need a decent mountain further north...

73 de VK3JED
http://vkradio.com