[MLB-WIRELESS] iBook pigtail [WAS] Modifying..., yes it is possible!....

David Ashburner d_ashburner at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 26 09:58:36 EST 2005

Hi Vak,

Can make pigtails with MC-Card connectors?

>I have modified more than 100 of these cards - it is easy to do as long as
>you're reasonably good with a soldering iron and use common sense. In all
>the mods I've done, they have been a fixed mod - Ie, you will lose the
>functionality of the onboard antennas and hence lose the ability to use the
>card indoors without some sort of external antenna (FYI: The cost of a
>brand new enterasys card is less than a proper lucent pigtail for it!!)

I'd rather not mod the card as I would like to switch back to the built in
antenna when I have to travel.

My iBook ( Dual USB) has an internal Airport card (not extreme) and dinky
built in antenna. While there is great stumbling software for it (kisMAC) ,
I can't pick up much due to the antenna. Web searches show a mod for later
Titanium powerBooks but nothing for this slightly older iBook.

I'm thinking  I should be able to route a cable to the card from the modem
port location, so remove the RJ11 connector and "mount" a RP-SMA connector.
I supose it would need to have the cable run first then the connectors added
on afterwards.

Anyone else tried to solve this problem?

cheers,
dna