Modifying Enterasys cards, yes it is possible! Was [MLB-WIRELESS] Entrasys

vak vak at alphalink.com.au
Mon Apr 25 19:26:08 EST 2005

Hi Mark,

I have modified more than 100 of these cards - it is easy to do as long
as you're reasonably good with a soldering iron and use common sense. In
all the mods I've done, they have been a fixed mod - Ie, you will lose
the functionality of the onboard antennas and hence lose the ability to
use the card indoors without some sort of external antenna (FYI: The
cost of a brand new enterasys card is less than a proper lucent pigtail
for it!!)

If enough people ask for it, i'll document how to modify a card and
stick it up on the web.

A couple of modification options exist:

1) Replace the female switchable MC connector with a directly soldered
pigtail (which is the easiest option)

2) Replace the MC female connector with an different connector family
(SMA, SMB or any other connector of your choice)

The first thing you need to ask yourself is how you intend on using the
card - Are you netstumbling with it, or using for a point to point
network (with an old laptop or PCI PCMCIA carrier) ?

Scenario 1) Fixed installation of old laptop or PC with a PCMCIA carrier
- Direct pigtail solder mod.

If you intend on using it in a fixed installation where it won't be
moved around much, then you can modify the card with a cable the same
size as RG58/LMR195/Cellfoil, etc - But be warned, you will need to
fabricate a support bracket for the cable (1.6mm aluminium or steel
sheet is ideal) - it is very easy to pry the copper track off the PCB
without this. The PCB on the enterasys cards is very thin and very
flexible, so using this technique, I recommend placing a small
rubber/foam block between the PCB and case to prevent it from cracking
and/or shorting.

You can either glue the metal bracket to the bottom (where the black
paint is), or bolt it by drilling through the bottom rear of the case.

FYI: If you have 2 cards and can't currently use them on top of each
other because they simply don't fit in together (in a double PCMCIA
slot), you can easily desolder the onboard antennas and remove the rear
black plastic top (comes off quite easily). Doing this will allow you to
slide 2 cards into a double PCMCIA slot easily. Note: Removing the
onboard antennas does not affect your ability to use an external pigtail.

I have done done a few mods using semi rigid coax, but it is an
expensive way to do it - supporting metalwork is crucial in this instance.

Scanario 2) Fixed installation of old laptop or PC with a PCMCIA carrier
- replace MC connector

Depending on the connector family you have chosen, it will determine if
and how you mount the connector.

I've done mods before by grinding PCB mount SMA/SMB connectors down and
fitting them into the notch that is left on the PCB (you will see the
gap after you remove the MC connector). Again, you need to support the
PCB with some foam/rubber to prevent it from shorting/cracking during
flexure. Also be careful when connecting your pigtail up, don't screw
the connector up tight as the rotational forces can shear the connector
off the board.

Scenario 3) Netstumbling with a permanent pigtail.

Make/buy a pigtail up with a connector on one end of your choice (Ie N,
SMA, etc - Around $20 for a N female bulkhead and 0.5m of cable) and
other end bare. Use either LMR100, RG174 or RG316 (In order of
preference for flexibility). These cables have a loss of around 1.2dB
per metre, so I don't really recommend using more than about a metre of
the stuff. I keep one of these in my laptopbag for doing site surveys.

No supporting metalwork is necessary for this type of mod as the cable
is very flexible - the only thing I recommend is that you store the
card/pigtail in a pouch so you don't accidentally yank the cable out of
the card (I've seen this happen a few too many times).

If you  remember to ground yourself before opening the card (so it is
not damaged by static discharge), don't apply too much heat to the board
(it is afterall a 0.8 -1.0mm 4 layer PCB) and not leave metal filings in
the card, then you won't stuff it up!

Regards,

Vaskos