[MLB-WIRELESS] topo data mentioned at the last meeting

David Ashburner d_ashburner at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 22 13:27:49 EST 2005

>From: "Andrew Wagstaff" <auswireless at hotmail.com>

>The data that Radio Mobile uses has a different datum to the data from both
>the Land Channel map and the data on locfinder. This means that the
>locations of nodes are out. I have tried this on my node and its about by
>about 14" (seconds) latitude and about 2-3" longitude, which in my case
>puts
>me on the other side of a hill.

So, if you convr you lat & lon to the same datum as the radio mobile stuff
then you would be in the right place?  There must be a reletively simple (
i.e. programatic) way of performing datum conversion on sets of data.

>Radio Mobile has been designed for use with UHF and VHF equipment, so you
>need to get all the required setting for the different types of antennas
>that we use.

it looks like there is a data file (radiosys.dat) that is used for saving
the system (Node) spcific data. - again this could be generated form an
extract from the current locfinder data.

>The data that locfinder is using to create the maps is far more accurate,
>if
>only there was a way to put LOS and antenna coverage maps into locfinder.
>It
>would probably require a dedicated server to do all the calculations, I
>know
>how long it takes Radio Mobile to do the calculations.

It looked ot me that the radio mobile stuff wasn't very strong on the
mapping side, but it was pretty detailed on the working out LOS amd signal
strength.