Steve Smithies steve42 at gmx.net
Thu Apr 7 11:59:52 EST 2005

Donna Kosh wrote:
> Ah ok i only asked that because my 3com pcmcia 802.11g card, has which
> countrys it can be used in the manual.

Different countries have different ranges of frequencies (which
translate to 802.11b channels) that are available for use by unlicensed
radio gear.

Off the top of my head, the US is 802.11b channels 1-11, while Australia
is 1-13.  That means if you buy an "American" card, it will probably be
limited to use less channels than its Australian equivalent.  These
different frequency ranges are due to what the ACA, and its American
counterpart, have allocated to the 2.4 GHz "Band".

If you were to take an "Australian" card, and use it on channel 13 in
the USA, you'd probably be breaking laws, etc.

Depending on the card, and operating system you use it on, a combination
of driver changes or firmware upgrades might be able to 'hack' it to use
the full range for here in Australia.

If you just get the card from USA, it'll work fine as long as you make
sure that any AP you want to talk to uses a channel in the 1-11 range.


To unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo at wireless.org.au
with "unsubscribe melbwireless" in the body of the message

More information about the Melbwireless mailing list